Monday, July 15, 2013

Can You Survive in a Post Apocalyptic World?

Lately when I am driving, or lying in bed before I fall asleep, I have been thinking about the End Times. Yep, the oft referred to end of days, when humans finally cannibalize themselves to the point of complete destruction.

Don't be skeered. I am not fanatic about it. What I wonder is how I would fare in a survival setting, and how useful would I be to others. This is not really surprising to me, as I recently went through a spate of post apocalyptic movies- 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Legend, Children of Men, World War Z, and of course, Walking Dead. Most of these focus on zombies- but as I have said in other blog posts- the zombie apocalypse is already upon us. What happens when the zombies destroy the fabric of society in their mindless consuming? (To wit, a great quote from Judith Froemming-A true zombie is nothing more than an unconscious being apathetically and lifelessly lumbering across the planet buying and consuming everything in its path, unsatisfied, unfulfilled, anxious and unstill.”)

Zombie Attack Survival Kit- a must have


The zombies have me very nervous. They are everywhere on parade, all over the internet and facebook. They really have no thought at all about anything except what to consume next, or what entertainment is available next. But all of this could culminate in a bad scene for all of us, and I wonder about that. First- I wonder if there are enough people who are conscious and aware to stop the madness. I wonder if we are doing enough, or if there is enough we can do. I will continue to do the best I can, and just maybe I will start preparing.


So I got a survival book. And it got me thinking about all kinds of stuff I didn't need to start thinking about. Why? Well, it shakes me up, for one. Like the section of the book about survival dentistry. When I think about survival, I always picture myself smashing zombies in the face, or building a fire, or getting supplies from a heavily looted grocery store, armed to the teeth. That one chapter put the reality of it in perspective. Its not a movie. If it happened, there are skills we don't have the first idea about. Dentistry? Setting bones? Surviving in a desert with no readily available clean water sources? Not nearly as fun as zombie killing.

But this new movement I have been privy to, with people learning to garden and create beehives, and even those who have acquired chickens (seriously, there is an urban chicken movement- and it makes sense- fresh eggs? Why not?) in urban environs will fare better than those who have not been learning to get back to simpler ways. If society were to quickly revert to having no power and no water, then these simple skills are going to come in very handy. So, in a very real way, one can both prepare for, and help prevent, an apocalypse. If more of us did these things, and we got more people to grow food, buy local, keep beehives,  drive less, recycle, look into sustainable ways of living- if we were able to tip the scales, we could help prevent a possible catastrophic future. And if it came anyway- we would be in a good position to survive it.

Urban homesteading is on the rise


So sure, there are things like having stores of canned food and water, that's never a bad idea- and first aid kits, and survivalist books, and all of that. I recommend preparedness on any level, for any thing.  But when it comes down to it, people have been living off the earth naturally for millennia. Its the most radical thing you can do right now, in this day and age- to look at all that you consume- from food and entertainment, to ideas and thoughts- all of it could be re-evaluated and re-prioritized. I say start with food, and let the rest come. Food is by far one of the hardest to change, but once you make that commitment to eating foods with no GMOs, shopping local so the foods are not shipped to you grocery store by plane and trucks- thereby wasting precious fossil fuels, giving your body nutrient dense superfoods so you stay healthy (and not just for the sake of health, per say, but because a healthy body is a BIG fuck you to the system- they make a ton of money of our being sick, tired, stressed), avoiding processed food, growing what you can, perhaps having a beehive to help our dying bees and so you can have fresh honey, definitely avoiding all fast food restaurants, and being a good example to others by talking about it and walking the walk you are talking about- if you just start here, with one of those things, it will grow all on its own. The rest will fall into place, in its own time and its own way. It will not feel like a sacrifice, but a gift. You will feel like a light bulb that has never been turned on before now, and finally you have found your purpose.

 I would like to not have to run through abandoned streets with a bad ass cross bow on my back, scavenging for what I can not grow on my own, or practice survival dentistry on my loved ones and learn to filter my pee to water a garden, but if we don't start somewhere, do something, and now, this may be the case.  The time is now. Don't hit the snooze button. OCCUPY YOURSELF!

No comments:

Post a Comment