Monday, July 1, 2013

Radical Recipes/ Truffle salmon sashimi with arugula and shaved parmesan- YUM

I try to post some fun stuff in between my rants, like recipes. I find that they are integral to my continued success at being a radical in my own kitchen. Being radical is, at its heart, about doing away with what doesn't work and replacing it with something newer, and more aligned with, one's new paradigm.

So having said that, I find myself a little bit at a loss still. I walk in the kitchen and I feel like I want something quick and yummy.  The idea of taking time to prepare a meal- (for myself, I mean, I always prepare it for my kids and I)- is not indigenous to my being. If my kids are not home, I will literally just go for whatever is easiest and whatever is yummiest of what is easiest. Like my now infamous obsession with Kraft mac and cheese- deluxe version- its way easier than the other kind.

This recipe below does not require any cooking, so it helps it qualify for easy. Convenient- not so much. Its not something you can keep on your shelf indefinitely- you have to know you plan to eat it soon. And you have to either get, or already have- the ingredients. Like truffle oil- not a lot of people already have that, but I do. I love truffle. I used to put it on McDonalds French fries. Now I put it on salmon and tune. Sigh. But these ingredients, once you have them, last a long time, and make lots of things yummy.


Truffle salmon sashimi with arugula and shaved parmesan

This dish is one that I love at Sushi Roku in Los Angeles- where its $28 for 6 pieces. The dressing is a combination of soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, and truffle oil, with fresh ginger bits. It plays off the peppery arugula and the sharp parmesan, and the salmon (or tuna, whichever you prefer) is just the perfect vehicle to carry all those flavors.


Ingredients- (for 2)

12 pieces Salmon or tuna sashimi (I got mine from Whole Foods, by their deli department. They have a guy there who cuts it up and puts it in plastic to-go containers)
organic arugula
block aged parmesan cheese
low sodium soy sauce
sesame oil
white truffle oil
fresh ginger

Mix in a bowl two teaspoons soy sauce, two tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon truffle oil, and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil. (At this point I taste it and decide what I want to taste more of- its sort of an organic process)
Cut up fresh ginger and put about 1 teaspoon in the oil and soy sauce mixture and let sit for a few minutes in fridge

Create a shallow bed of arugula on each plate, Spread out the sashimi so it sort of fans out nicely. Shave the parmesan cheese so there are chunks (mine in the picture isn't so much shaved as chopped- I don't have a proper shaver/grater thing)

NOW this isn't part of the recipe, but its a nice addition- a couple of avocados, sliced in small sections and also fanned out from the main dish, lightly salted. Another great addition to this- cucumbers, lightly salted and drizzled with soy sauce, with toasted sesame seeds on top-

Remove the oil and soy sauce mixture and drizzle over the sashimi. Be sparing at first and bring the rest to the table so one can add as they see fit.

This is a super light meal that is elegant and sexy and requires zero cooking. Its a total treat to the tastebuds with all that flavor going on.  And its really good for you- providing you purchase all non GMO products to prepare it- hopefully you have a Trader Joe's in your town. Kikkoman soy sauce is made from non GMO soy beans.

If you try it and love it, please send me a note!

Occupy yourself





No comments:

Post a Comment