Saturday, July 27, 2013

Consume What You Must, and Boogie

This week, I started to count all the ways I contribute to the problems in this world. As  consumers in this modern age, we barely notice all the waste we cause just by living. Its seemingly natural to have the checkout person at the grocery store double bag our groceries, to drink water out of plastic bottles, to pay the outrageous sums of money for the gas our cars require, which add to emissions and create an environmental crisis that is just rearing its ugly head. We drink our Coffee Bean or Starbucks out of paper or plastic cups with plastic lids, and perhaps a straw every day. We use those wooden chopsticks at Chinese restaurants that are thrown away after one use- for which entire forests have been used, in order to provide the world with these utensils. Its mind boggling.

So, here is what a normal week for me used to look like-

Coffee Bean, every morning. Plastic cup, lid and straw in summer/ paper cup with plastic lid in winter.  7 cups/ lids/ straws a week/ 365 a year

Groceries- once a week, two stores/ Vons and Trader Joes- about 20 bags since they double them

Speaking of groceries- all the packaging. Fruit in plastic clamshells. Cartons of milk, plastic bottles of juice, plastic bags for bread- boxes, wrappers, all of it. Too much to quantify

Gas- about $100 a week- around 25 gallons. $5200 year (around 1050 gallons)

Plastic water bottles- I have a confession to make. I personally don't make much of ripple here, as water is something I am learning to drink. My kids, however, go through about 24 bottles a week.

Electricity- So here is a little lesson. Most people haven't given it much thought as to how the electricity is produced that we all use, and that it requires fossil fuels, in most cases. For your edification-

 

Power plants make electricity out of other forms of energy. Most electricity in the U.S. today comes from converting the heat energy released from burning fossil fuels--coal, natural gas and oil. The rest is generated from nuclear reactors and from renewable sources, such as sunlight, wind, falling water and geothermal heat (see Renewables, Unit 5).
In a typical power plant, a primary energy source like coal is burned to create heat, which is converted in a boiler to mechanical energy in the form of superheated, high-pressure steam. The steam is directed into a turbine, where it pushes on blades attached to a central shaft or rotor. The rapidly spinning rotor powers a generator.

I am going to stop right there. I could just keep going, but I think this paints a pretty adequate picture of what we, individually, are doing to trash the globe. So what am I going to do about it? I'll tell you. Like all things I recommend, its baby steps. You can take big ones- that's awesome- but I find that for something to stick, its best not to change too much at once or your life won't support the shift.

1. For my morning coffee, I now get one cup on Monday, and I re-use it all week. Its easy to rinse it out when I am done and stick it in my work bag. I can't tell you how many times I mindlessly threw it in the trash, only to go back and get it out later. Its shocking, really, to confront that auto pilot thing, to realize how easy it is to just be a consuming and wasteful robot. Today, one of the baristas asked me why I did that. I told him because I love the planet, and we had a nice chat about it. You never know how a chat like that could inspire someone else to do things differently. Talk about what you are doing, and why. Not in a preachy way- no one will listen.

2. Groceries- I've started to shop mostly locally. This reduces the fossil fuel waste which occurs when they ship the produce from a foreign country, usually via several trucks, a plane, and sometimes a train as well. I use bags I bought specifically for shopping. At Trader Joe's,  I try to look at how things are packaged and choose items which are loose- for example- a clamshells full of nectarines, or loose ones that I put in a little plastic bag that I brought, and that I reuse. Or a large bottle of juice instead of 6 small bottles, or a 32 ounce yogurt instead of 8 single serve ones. Another way that this sneaks up on you- you just run into 7-11 for a gallon of milk and don't notice that its in a bag until you get home. or at CVS, you are buying lotion and razors and stuff like that, and you forgot to bring a bag in with you and its too much to carry out. I have been known to take the stuff to my car, empty the bag, and take it back in and give it back to them. It becomes a habit after a while.

3. Gas- I got a Prius! Its funny, I have friends who are judgmental about those cars, and people who drive them. I had one friend tell me that if I go vegan, to lose his number. Someone else said- Not you! You are becoming one of them!  Another said- the money you think you save on gas, you spend on the car itself, so it doesn't average out. What he was missing is that its better for the environment, and for me, that is one of the most important factors when deciding anything. If you think global warming isn't real, check this out. I love Prius drivers. I think they are sexy. I think when people show their concern for the state of the planet and its evident in the choices they make, its just plain old hot. The cars are definitely not sexy, but the drivers are. And the opposite is also true- someone in a gas guzzling but beautiful Aston Martin can not really be sexy by my standards. Someone flying around the globe in a private jet is maybe the most unattractive sort of person there is. No one who loves the planet or cares for the future of mankind would be so wasteful. If you haven't at least looked into getting a hybrid- there is no harm in looking. You might be surprised at how easy they are to finance, or buy used. But you won't know until you look.



The other good news, for anyone who says they can't afford to eat local and organic- I will spend about $350 less a month on gas, so I will have more to spend on eating like someone who gives a f*ck about this world. And, p.s.- I am actually spending less by eating right. There aren't brands and ads to lure me in to buy items I don't really need.  I purchase only what I need, I love that its fresh from the farm,  I learn new recipes, and its fun as hell.

4. Plastic water bottles-  Contigo water bottles are my solution. Instead of buying cases of water bottles, we are buying 5 gallon jugs and filling our water bottles for the day at home. (At my work, I installed water filtration systems that also alkalinize the water, and I fill up when I am there, too). Here is a pretty good example of why we should all stop using water bottles, plastic bags, and 6 packs that use those plastic sturdy rings to hold them together. This picture isn't terribly shocking until you realize it is twice the size of Texas, in the Pacific Ocean, and growing all the time.

 
 
This is an aerial representation of the garbage vortexes in the pacific ocean. The scale is also represented.

 
 

Here are some of the sad results for creatures-

 
That could have been something I threw away years ago. or you. I can't live with that. If all I have to do is change my ways so this might not happen to another turtle, so that vortex of plastic waste materials doesn't become 5 times the size of Texas by the time my daughters have children. Given these facts, why wouldn't I endeavor to change my ways???  And if you do the same, and influence others to also do the same, we can change where this is going.
 
5. Electricity. This one is a no brainer. Turn things off when you aren't using them. If you live in an apartment and you notice that the building leaves all its lights on during the day, ask them to get a timer. My kids and I have a tradition when we exit our elevator on the ground floor- we turn off the laundry room light and the one directly outside the elevator. I have trouble getting them to do it at home, but at least its in their consciousness. They are beginning to recognize how gorgeous a person is when you can see that they care, and are willing to take a few extra steps (or more) to be less of a problem and more of a solution on this planet.  If you own your own home- solar is such an exciting option, you lucky thing you! You can also collect rain water, compost, and garden organically, and have a few beehives, and a chicken coop for fresh eggs! You are so freaking lucky- I would give my eye teeth to have a home and some land so I could really take this to the next level.
 
Here is a great link for all things solar, sustainable, and green for your home- Green Home Solutions
 
I encourage everyone to make a small list of ways they can change some of these habits ASAP. Here is a small list- try it out!
 
1. Use recycled bags any time you make a purchase. keep them in your car at all times.
 
2. re-use your coffee cups, or buy sustainable ones
 
3. Purchase water bottles that you can keep with you, and buy one big 5 gallon jug at a time, instead of 36 small bottles
 
4. Look into getting a hybrid car. Just look. Amazing things happen when you start to look into your options- they somehow manifest in the strangest ways. Just start looking on the internet. Can't hurt!
 
5. Turn off your lights! Turn off other people's lights. remind people to turn things off. Look into solar powered electricity for your home, if you own one.
 
6. Buy locally grown produce and other goods! This way, you don't contribute to the fossil fuels needed to ship them via truck, train and plane to your grocer. Support the good guys growing in your neck of the woods. Go to your local farmer's market once a week and stock up. Try your very best not to shop at the major chain stores or purchase major brands. I have kids and I have gone in Vons twice in two months- you can do it! Learn new recipes that concentrate on the fresh food in your area. Avoid bringing GMOs into your home. (Click here to check out the buycott app, which will tell you what foods to avoid while you are shopping)
 
There- 6 simple things that will make a huge impact, the more of us take on this way of living, the better. Even if you just pick one and practice it until it becomes a habit, and then pick another- but by all means, pay attention to your life and in what ways you are contributing to the demise of the planet. We are all part of the problem, by virtue of being alive in this day and age. But we can become part of the solution. Share this blog with your family and friends, so they can join the cause. OCCUPY YOURSELF!
 
(Why do I keep saying Occupy yourself? Because until you do, something else is occupying you. Only right action and waking up to reality will allow you to OCCUPY YOURSELF. Watch this short video below. This concept is best conveyed with visuals.)
 
 
And last but not least, Frank Zappa has something to say. Listen up.
 
 
 





Much love,

Ashley Dane

 

3 comments:

  1. A few thoughts about your thoughts (well, more than a few...the blog host is going to make me post this in split portions). First of all, you are awesome. But oh yeah, I forgot...you already know that.

    1. Of course, the obvious is buy a re-usable cup but I love that you're recycling your paper one. I have a love affair with my Starbucks latte experience every morning, partly fueled by the feel of the cup - in my hand, at my lips. I know...don't judge me.

    2. Long Beach passed an ordinance nearly two years ago now that makes it illegal for any store (exceptions are clothing stores, electronics, etc.) to use plastic bags. You can purchase a paper one at some places, including Target, for 5 cents. TJ's still offers free paper ones. But I've been using my own bags everywhere for over three years now. I keep a couple of the collapsible ones in my purse and a huge stash of varying sizes in my trunk (I have a particular style that I like so I've stocked up on them), but occasionally I will still get into the grocery store and forget them (or underestimate how many I needed). I just have them put my items back in my cart, and then I'll bag them when I get to my car. My fear is if I take a plastic bag back in they'll just throw it in the trash rather than give it to the next customer. Many stores now have the recycle bins in the front of the store, though, so there's that.

    3. I've had my 2012 Prius for over a year now, and I still frequently drive down the street saying - out loud to no one in particular - "I love my car!" I think the newer models are incredibly sexy and sleek and beautiful. Poo on your friends who dis them. First of all, my daughter has a 2008 they leased new. They've never had to have it worked on. Ever. When the lease ended last year, they opted to buy it. If they could have afforded to trade up to a newer model, they would have. Second, you will never have to have your brakes worked on or replaced. The brake system works off the engine system. It de-accelerates as you begin to press on the break. You rarely utilize the brake pads AT ALL which ensures you're never going to damage the rotor. Most Priuses never have to have any brake work of any kind done during the lifetime of the car. With the way we are forced to drive in traffic in LA, this is huge. Add to all of this the fact that Toyotas are almost indestructible when well cared for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4. We have filtered water in our fridge, so we purchased BPA-free bottles about a year ago. David's left two of them at Wonderland, and they disappeared but I never let mine leave my side. It's a Thermos brand, and I am drinking more water than I've ever consumed in my life because of that bottle. I just keep it filled with ice and water. Ice mainly because I prefer cold water, but even moreso because I know if I leave it in my car for a few minutes, the ice will melt and keep it drinkable. I also place it out of the sunlight when I park (I use a window shade to keep my car cool when parked in the hot sun.) You might consider a Brita pitcher. My daughter has one with a spigot that fits on the shelf in her fridge. The girls know how to use it. They, too, have Thermos bottles they keep filled with water all day. Starting them young.

    5. This is where I have to do some work. I don't tolerate heat well at all, and now that I'm menopausal, I run my AC at a much lower temp. But we turn it off a lot at night, and I always turn it off when I leave the house, even if it's just for a short time.

    I'm downloading the Buycott app right now. Really committed to moving completely away from GMOs. Long Beach has a Farmer's Market almost every day of the week, so we are blessed to do a lot of local buying. And Lazy Acres just came in nearby, and they're community driven. I bought some whole wheat bread there yesterday that is baked in Irvine - it has four ingredients. Living in a city that is progressive in this area is such a blessing. Also, most of our friends have these same values. So that makes it really easy for us. I like seeing my granddaughters growing up without the crap going into their bodies that we've all consumed over our lifetimes.

    Love you, my Ash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BJ!!! I had a dickens of a time figuring out how to reply, going from the dashboard. Thank you for your comments, all these things are so helpful! You should maybe start a blog...I miss and love you!!!

    ReplyDelete