Sunday, September 1, 2013

Radical Recipes- Locally grown Asparagus with Asian sauce

In today's busy world, convenience is king. Convenience is the reason we have McDonalds and microwaves. Why TV dinners were invented. Why non perishable food items are such a staple in the American household. And convenience is also what is wrong with the modern culture- so much is lost, so much is sacrificed in order to make it as easy and mobile friendly as possible.

Having said all that, I have to say I completely understand. I have fallen prey to the convenience mindset- in fact it dictated a great bulk of my life. There was a short golden time when my kids were little and I didn't work that I was able to make real meals, not warm them up. It was lovely, but I had nothing but time. That's not most people's reality, and its not my reality now.

Being a single mom,  and also just trying to be a socially conscious consumer, I need recipes that are yummy, fast, inexpensive, and easy to prepare. That is why I call these recipes radical- I never thought I could feed my family organic, locally grown, fully prepared meals on my limited budget, after working a full day. I am learning how to do it, and sharing what I learn.

(And when I said yummy- I really do need my food to be very super yummy. I can't just eat some bland crap just because its good for me. No way. One of my greatest joys is learning that eating healthy doesn't mean you have to sacrifice yumminess!!!)

The beauty of today's recipe is that its super quick and easy. And oh my God, its so freaking good. I am eating it right now. I love to go to restaurants and try to make what I ate at home, and this is one of those dishes. For months I have been trying to duplicate the green beans at one of my favorite sushi places-  the sauce, mainly. I have tried to create some rather elaborate sauces, but as it turns out, this one is really simple. I finally asked them, and I was surprised when they told me exactly what to do. Today I tried it on some super fresh, super skinny asparagus I got at the farmer's market this morning.

Radical recipe #128, Asian Asparagus


So here is the recipe. it takes 5 minutes.

Asparagus locally grown organic
oyster sauce
garlic (one clove, cut up into tiny pieces)
sesame oil

I threw the all the above into a wok and added the asparagus and sautéed until it was cooked through but still al dente, not mushy or soft.

I can't tell you how much of each thing- its up to your palate, and I never consider cooking an exact formula. You can't go wrong no matter how much or little you put, and you will learn what you like.

What is so radical about this? For me, radical recipes are all about finding something that will satisfy a person, which can be a stand in for when our taste buds start luring us in the wrong direction. I frequently go into the kitchen and want something yummy and fast. Usually that isn't something that is in keeping with my lifestyle- and the temptations abound in a household with two teenage girls. I am really committed to training my taste buds, so I am no longer a slave to them. I want to crave fresh, healthy, locally grown food. But I wasn't raised to like that stuff, and so its an ongoing process of learning how to replace my usual go-to processed foods with better choices.


I love Michael Pollan


I have to tell you, today when I was hungry, the last thing I wanted to do was NOT eat something that was a go-to food. I really didn't want to eat something green or vegetably or fruity. I wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich- white bread, Jif peanut butter and some grape jelly.  For me to choose to make this asparagus dish instead is kind of a big deal- it goes against all my programming.  That's the point, though. Occupying yourself means to switch gears, question everything, and re-program yourself in the way that is true to your core being. I dare say all our core selves are aligned with well being, and the sustainability of the planet, when you get right down to it.  Who, when stripped of all their bullshit, doesn't truly want to be healthy, and live peacefully on a planet that is thriving?

Google the MAM to find out where its being held in your area!!!!


OCCUPY YOURSELF!

xoxo,

Ashley Dane

No comments:

Post a Comment