Thursday, September 5, 2013

Radical Recipes from the Anarchist Cookbook- Bomb Ass Zucchini Chips

Okay, so it isn't really from the original Anarchist's Cookbook, but it very well could be from the new and improved version, and I might be working on that as we speak. And if I were working on it,  embedded in it would be the message that its much more effective to create a meal with locally grown foods than to create a Molotov cocktail. Food is the new movement, because we can ALL take action. We can ALL stop buying what the powers that be are selling. Or, as my very eloquent and politically passionate friend Kevin Vaughn says-

The only way out at this point is collective change. I mean a serious psyche change of behavior by the masses, the complete dedication to be responsible and demand better from ourselves and the companies that "feed" us. To move away from "branded convenience" and into necessity. To move into cooperation instead of lustful competition. To refuse goods obtained, manufactured or altered by theft or genetic modification of resource. Collectively alter the "bottom line" and you will see change. Rapid change. Damn near overnight. So if you are not willing or are not already making this type effort...stop bitching about war. You are the war.

YOU are the war. I am the war. The war I wage is in my struggle to make choices with my dollars that support only those who do not have an agenda to damage anyone for profit. I am often shocked at how hard it is to make the correct choice- I was so hungry today after two hours stuck in traffic, all I wanted was McDonalds French fries. Sooooooo bad. But no- this isn't an option I am allowing myself. I have a short list of things I am not ready to give up yet, and I am allowing myself those few things. McDonalds is not on that list.  Something happens every day to challenge me. I am usually pretty vigilant to these temptations, and sometimes I fall flat on my face. But I get back up and try again. Its a process.

A good rule of thumb....


So when I got home, I made something that was not just equally satisfying, but WAY MORE satisfying that French fries. Fuck French fries!  I made zucchini chips, and they are the BOMB.  Bomb Ass Zucchini Chips!

Here is what you need-

A big ol' zucchini or two (from your local farmer's market if you can; organic if you can't)- seasonally you can get these pretty big in California, just get the biggest ones you can
Shredded organic parmesan cheese (Not the stuff in the green can. That's disgusting. Best if you shred it yourself)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Coconut oil
chia seeds
Himalayan pink sea salt

So I cut the top off the zucchini so it wouldn't look suggestive. You know it woulda


Pre-heat over to 400 degrees
Cut the zucchini up into round chippy pieces, not too thick, not too thin
place on cooking tray
put a drop of EVOO on each slice, cover with parmesan cheese, top with chia seeds and Himalayan sea salt

See how easy it is to make bomb ass zucchini?

Cook in oven for 20 minutes. Keep checking on them, though- everyone's oven is a bit different, and everyone has their own idea of how thick to cut the slices.

One other version says to top with bread crumbs before cooking. To be honest, I did a little of each, and liked without bread crumbs better.

These are super quick and easy, which I personally like, as I always am starving by the time I get home since I am not snacking on crap all day long.  You can make a bunch and put in Tupperware- I don't know how well they keep in the fridge, but you can probably take them to lunch or to snack on for the day without worrying about them getting gross.

So good you could slap your grandma!

If you try this and like it, let me know! I love to get emails from people who have been enjoying these recipes. You have no idea how weird it is for me, who three months ago was eating like a 10 year old latchkey kid, to be suggesting recipes and having people thank me for them! One of the best things in life is change, when its your choice, and its for the better of you and others.

On that note, please find out where a March Against Monsanto is happening near you this October 12th. You can click here to look for an event on facebook in your city.  I will be at the one in LA. Meet me there!



Occupy yourself!

xoxo,

Ashley Dane

No comments:

Post a Comment