Friday, September 13, 2013

Radical Recipes from the New Anarchist's Cookbook- Stick-it-To-The-man Stir Fry


This week has been weird. I've been craving deep fried wontons with cream cheese inside- and I'm not gonna lie. I got some. But then I craved them the next night, and I realized how sneaky my brain is. Its wired, via my taste buds, to want deep fried food food, filled with some gooey cheese- I mean,  what is cream cheese, anyway? I will look it up later, but I do love it, and I'm not backing down from it yet- although I get it from trader Joe's, no more Philly Cream Cheese filled with GMOs for me.

I had to have a bit of a stand down with myself. I was in a bit of a state. All I could think about all day long were those damn wontons. Sometimes, in these recipes I post, I offer the recipe itself up as an alternative to a craving. This isn't that, not really. There is no relation to the following recipe and fried cream cheese wontons in taste or texture- but its the best thing I've made all week, and it totally hit the spot, and I won't be surprised if I crave it all day tomorrow- that's the goal. To keep eating the right foods until I de-program myself from the processed, deep fried, palm oil and high fructose corn syrup laden, GMO packed crap that is packaged so cleverly, branded so well its seared into our flesh, and hits all the high notes with our taste buds. I want to crave healthy stuff, because I want to make sure my dollars are not supporting the aforementioned atrocity that is the typical American diet. I want my dollars to go to the local and small and organic farmers, who are not trying to compromise my health for the sake of Big Pharma.

Eat Radical recipes and avoid Big Pharma- stick it to the man by eating like you give a damn!


Enough of me ranting. I posted a recipe a couple of weeks back, and this is actually a variation on a theme.

STICK-IT-TO-THE-MAN STIR FRY

There's no going back now



What you will need-


6 Organic carrots. NOT those already peeled bright orange weird carrots, those are actually reconstituted carrots. But like REAL carrots, with green at the top, that you have to peel
Frozen organic green beans
organic non GMO sprouted tofu, firm
mushrooms
oyster sauce
sesame oil
garlic
Quinoa- optional side dish, I highly recommend.

So the biggest prep time in this recipe is for the carrots. I peel them, place them in tent of aluminum foil with EVOO and garlic, and bake them in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes, or until they are 'al dente'. And yes, there is a perfect texture for carrots. If they aren't al dente, I won't eat them- they don't even taste like carrots when they are cooked right. Which is good since I kind of hate carrots otherwise.

Here is an amazing song to cut tofu and mushrooms by, FLUME featuring Chet Faker...



(Put quinoa on to cook now, if you are going to have that as a side dish)

While carrots are cooking, cut the tofu into squares and set aside. Cut the mushrooms into slices. Mince the garlic, unless you have a Trader Joe's and can get the frozen garlic cubes- they ROCK! Put sesame oil, oyster sauce, and plenty of garlic in a wok or frying pan. (I never measure, but if I had to guess, I'd say start with 1/3 cup of each and 3 cloves garlic- if a clove means one of those little chunks that you have to peel inside a big thing of garlic)

STICK IT TO THE MAN! Right from your own kitchen!!!


Don't turn the stove on high, I always do and burn everything. Keep it on a low-medium setting while the oil, sauce, and garlic get a chance to mingle and infuse.  After about 3-5 minutes, put the tofu in first. Mix it gently so it doesn't break apart but gets saturated with the sauce. After a few minutes, put the mushrooms in and do the same thing. A few minutes later, put the green beans in (I put them in frozen) and let it all simmer for a while.

Now check on those carrots. If they seem good to you, take them out carefully and cut them into bite sizes. Throw those in with the rest of the stir fry and simmer some more.

You will be able to tell when its ready- mostly because the frozen beans will be hot which means everything else is well cooked too. Try to make sure someone is with you- you will want to have someone taste your amazing cooking immediately. You will be grinning from ear to ear, and you know how it is, you have to share the joy asap. At least, that was my experience.

If you try it and you like it, let me know!!

And don't forget, just 5 weeks away and coming to a city or town near you-

Occupy yourself! March Against Monsanto. Find the location near you on facebook.


Love and rockets,

Ashley Dane
Shake The Hive



No comments:

Post a Comment