Sunday, June 30, 2013

Thought for Food

Yeah, thought for food. Just like food for thought, but in reverse. This whole lifestyle change is starting to become automatic for me. Yay!! Today I spent the day snacking, which usually leaves me feeling weird and kind of disconnected from body, over stimulated, and just plain ol' weird. However- (and this is a big deal)- I didn't know it. I had no idea until I did things differently. Its okay to snack- but its what you snack on that makes all the difference. Lets call this the Snack Revolution! 'Cause every little tiny bit helps the cause. And every little thing we do that is not a solution only adds to the problem.

Yeah this. In reverse.


So.... giving some thought to my food is teaching me to take responsibility for my world, on way many more levels that simply what I eat. On a day after eating crap,  feeling out of touch with reality and cranky, can leave me making a snap decision from a bad place and alter the course of my life. Seriously- no one should be making big decisions after a day of eating oreos and drinking cokes. or grabbing fast food for lunch after a coffee breakfast.

Like Ebenezer Scrooge said to the first ghost, Jacob Marley, who visited him in A Christmas Carol- he said to the ghost, " You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, ... " Even Dickens knew that food has its affects on the mind. Food affects everything central to our own well being, be it mental, emotional, physical. We are so disconnected from our own selves that it really doesn't bother us, to read something like this. We can read it and somehow feel like it simply doesn't apply to us. I did it a million times.

I know. I totally know. I never cared- when it came to my health- well, I always felt healthy. I have always been able to eat what I want and just be fine, I never saw any repercussions.  But I do feel different now, when previously I thought that I couldn't possibly feel better than I did already. Bah, Humbug.  Like Scrooge, who doesn't want to look at his past, his present, his future, the way he impacted those in his life, or the way his impact on them impacted those in their life with a profound rippling effect. No one wants to- you, reading this right now, don't want to. Or you may look at one thing but avoid looking at the *big* thing. I do that all the time!!!! I have quit drinking and doing any mind altering substances, got out of a bad marriage, I have sought to improve my life in many, many ways- but food was really going to be my last stand- I was determined not to change a thing. Food is just so....personal.

So...today. I haven't had a proper meal, I snacked all day. But I snacked on Mary's Gone Crackers, which are crackers full of chia seeds and flax seeds and quinoa- sooooo yummy. No GMOs, no gluten, all organic- the exact thing that I would have rolled my eyes at 2 months ago. I dip them in some amazing stuff called Nary Dairy- which is this sort of fake cheese dip with the texture of hummus, made out of cashew butter. I get it at my local farmer's market. Its delish. And I ate a banana, and some organic milk chocolate from trader Joe's.


Nary Dairy is sooo yummy! I like Chia Cheddar best.


Why the hell am I talking to you about what I snacked on today? Because it was the kind of day we all have, where there is no time to actually eat, and that is when we throw all our thoughts for food out the window and grab what we can. The bad guys at McHappylife, Inc., love it when we are like this. That is when we stop at a fast food place- in a hurry, blood sugar dropping, stressed out. Its when we are weak. Fuck that noise.

I prepared myself. I left the house today with my little snacky snacks. I am not giving a dime to those skeezy corporate sh*theads, and its my goal never to do so again. No more fast food or the easy bag of chips full of GMOs, just to 'tide me over'. Its seems like such a tiny thing to do- but if we all did it, we could put those fast food guys out of business. We could- I know its almost an impossibility, but think about it. If we could unite the people of the US, if we could get them all to stop eating all fast food, we could shut them down. If we didn't buy any products containing GMOs, Monsanto's stock would continue to drop. We have the power to make change. its not like we need to strap a bomb to our chest and walk in a McDonalds. In a capitalist society, the power is actually in the hands of the consumers.  If we don't like something, if we see the red flags, we need to talk to our friends, or families, or neighbors, at parties- and talk about what is going on, plant the seed for a different approach. We can stop them by not buying their crap. If their crap is not bought, then they will die.

The American Dream realized.
I know there will never be a way to get everyone on the same page. But if we tried to, we'd at least get a lot of them thinking different. We all have facebook. We all have email. If nothing else- share this blog! Let it speak to as many people as possible. 

Okay, so then what. How do we change? Read about GMOs. Get the Buycott app so you don't purchase things with GMOs in them. Talk about it. read this blog. Change some small thing in your life this week, and then maybe next week, see what new thing of value and sustainability you can add to your life while removing something that supports the decline of civilization.  I am taking baby steps in the right direction, and if I can do it, you can, too! Trust me, I am one of the worst case scenarios and die hard white trash food eater. We can do this thing. OCCUPY YOURSELF!!!

1 comment:

  1. LOVED this article! Thank you for your inspiring words and walking the talk. If every person makes a small movement in the direction you talked about then the change will be massive. The change starts with us...one person at a time :)

    ReplyDelete